unscripted speech

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 5 01:19:48 UTC 2005

That movie was called "The Jericho Mile," and I remember it as being pretty good. At least it seemed so in 1979.

JL

"Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Cohen, Gerald Leonard"
Subject: Re: unscripted speech

Several years ago I saw a movie on TV--I don't remember its name, but it was about a man in prison who could run extremely fast and was always doing laps around the prison yard. He was brought to the attention of a track coach, who then trained him for races against the best track stars. He would have won if he had received permission from the prison board to participate, but he failed to show the necessary remorse for his crime and wound up speaking in anger to the board.
Anyway, IIRC, the prisoners all had nicknames (given by the other prisoners), and I distinctly remember that the nickname of this track-star prisoner was "Lickety-Split."
If there was anything off-color about the nickname, evidently no one told the movie director.

Gerald Cohen

Original message from Jonathan Lighter, Sept. 3, 2005: