1913 "jazz"; was: Terror Dome; Dallas Morning News (1885-present?)

Tue Sep 6 19:54:21 UTC 2005

> Are they all false positives?

Well, the first 10 or so were.  I quit checking then, since such odd
things were turning up as "jazz":  "the", "Jan.", "ssion" (from
intermission), "puzzles," etc.  The search for "jazz" returns greater
than 200 hits when the date is limited 1885 - 1913.

At what date do citations for "jazz" get interesting?  Pre-1917? -1916?
-1914?

> Are there any valid 1913
> attestations?  I'm currently compiling draft #3 about the
> origin of the term "jazz" (slated for the Oct./Nov. issue of
> Comments on Etymology), and any attestations from the Dallas
> Morning News would be of interest.
>
> Gerald Cohen

On another note, you might find this interesting:

"Sermon at Grace Church"
1905-04-12 Page 11 col 1.

" "I ate hot dog, that you call tamales, for the first time in my life,
though I hated them and the Greasers who made them, but I was glad to
get the job and made money for my food and for expenses back home," he
continued."