Nonsexual lickety-split

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 8 16:53:12 UTC 2005

As an actual lexical item, sexual "lickety-split" is uncommon and, I'd wager, almost entirely jocular. But it is obvious that a great many people (particularly of the young male variety) find the word itself hilarious because it can be "interpreted" as sexual.

Earlier I mentioned Beavis and Butthead types in this regard.  The "Beavis and Butthead" phenomenon has not been studied by linguists, as far as I know. Example:

1.   _Maiden Aunt_ (oh, all right, _*Spinster* Aunt_) :  And he was gone, lickety-split !

_B or B_ : Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh.  She said :  "Lickety-split."

The "B & B phenomenon" thus refers to the amused identification, aloud or silently, of unintended scatology in the words of others.

Here are two more exx. :

2.  _Ph.D_ :  Cortes was far less interested in establishing Spanish dominion over Mexico than he was in acquiring gold and booty from the Aztecs.

_Large Lecture Hall of Undergraduates_ [_think_ ] :   Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh. He said: "Booty."

3.  _Philosopher_ :  Politics makes strange bed fellows.

_Foolosopher_ : Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh.  You said : "Bed Fellows."

JL