(East) Texas "geechee" redux

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 16 20:54:32 UTC 2005

IAC, "sacatro" is the term that applies to your humble correspondent.
I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression that such lists of
ancestral definitions are still in use in Spanish- and
Portuguese-America. I've also read somewhere or other that Spanish
"prieto" and Portuguese "preto," not "negro," are used to refer to
skin tone. "Negro" has various generally meliorative meanings that
vary across countries and/or dialects. As La Orquesta Aragon of Cuba
brags:

De los negros de la Habana,
Yo soy el negro mas guapeton.

And as Tito Puente y su orquesta ask: