"knock up" --usage

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 21 01:27:49 UTC 2005

At 5:29 PM -0700 9/19/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Just within the last two nights I heard Peter Bagdonovich on Turner
>Classic Movies mention very casually that some celebrated actress of
>the forties or fifties had done something or other (obviously I
>wasn't paying much attention) while she was "knocked up."
>
>I thought this was pretty crude for a classy cinematic discussion in
>prime time (even on cable), but evidently neither P.B. nor the TCM
>people shared my puritanical response.
>
>After all, it's just "knocked" + "up."  Where's the dirt ?  (Goak.)
>
>JL

Speaking of which, it might be useful to note that HDAS glosses
_knock up_ as 'to make pregnant, now usu. out of wedlock', and refers
to the phrase as "Euphemistic in early use, but now often considered
vulgar."  (The OED, which also records some 19th cent. uses, has it
simply as Slang and 'orig. U.S.')  Perhaps the church picnic guy was
just very very old.  In any case, I don't see that now or then
there's anything more than a default expectation along the lines of
unmarried/unplanned/unwanted, as opposed to that being part of the
lexical content, although arguably the uses of "knock(ed) up" with
reference to "legitimate" and/or wanted pregnancies may involve an
aspect of irony.

Larry