Early (1873) link between Hot Dog and Sausage

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 21 10:33:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Mullins, Bill wrote:

> I don't claim this to be an antedating of "hot dog" as we understand the =
> term.  But it is relevant to the story, I believe.
> =20
>
> "A Demented Old Idiot." New York | Hornellsville | Hornellsville Tribune =
> | 1873-07-11 p. 1 col 6.

In 2003 I posted an 1872 Saturday Evening Post version of the same story.
At that time I commented, "I can't believe this is really a usage of _hot
dog_ 'frankfurter,' but the words "This is no sausage shop" could be read
to mean that the speaker is referring to a "cold dog" or "hot dog" or
"lukewarm dog" as a sausage.  At the least this could be considered to be
a usage of _dog_ 'sausage'.

Fred Shapiro