the fit hit the Shan (was: Re: Tiger Woods)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Sep 23 03:16:45 UTC 2005

> > Back in the olden days, ca.1955, there was a version that ended, "...
> > when the fit hit the Shan." I've forgotten the set-up/lead-in, or
> > whatever term it is that I'm searching for here.
> >
> > <<<<<
> >
> > And Roger Zelazny, in his novel _Lord of Light_, has an entire scene
> that is
> > part of the plot but which is also a setup to this line. A real groaner,
> > esp. once you realize how you've been set up and how long he's strung you
> > along.

The joke was on me, because I completely missed this the first time I read
"LoL" ... second time too ... third time too .... (that's right, this is a
favorite novel of mine). My excuses: somehow I had missed ever hearing the
basic joke, earlier; the line fit the story; the odd wording was in line
with odd wording elsewhere in the narrative.

> > He did much the same thing in one of the Amber novels (first pentalogy)
> with
> > "There once was a hermit named Dave...".

I did immediately recognize Dave the hermit, who really didn't have a good
excuse for being there IIRC.

-- Doug Wilson