Kool-Aid drinker = dupe of propagandists, publicists, etc.

Lesa Dill lesa.dill at WKU.EDU
Wed Sep 28 14:02:22 UTC 2005

I may be stating the obvious about this discussion, but I have been
fascinated by the use of the Kool-Aid reference for quite some time
now.  Bill O'Reilly coined it as it is used in many of the references
mentioned.  He explained the reference as being to those people who are
like Jim Jones' followers and would drink any Kool-Aid anyone would give
them without questioning what might be in it.  Therefore it is a person
who is a dupe.  To O'Reilly it usually is a political dupe, but I think
the expression could be extended to other types.