"Baseball cards" in Queens is "tickets" in Brooklyn

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 21 03:15:47 UTC 2006

>I'm adding "salugi" to my page. The "'baseball cards' in Queens is  'tickets'
>in Brooklyn" interested me. Does DARE have "tickets"? Anyone heard  this
>before?

No, I know salug(g)i (from Washington Heights, early 1950s), but not
tickets.  We called them baseball cards.  Of the games listed below,
only salugi was actually cruel.  I think of it as being a bit like
"keep-away", except that nobody could say "Let's play salugi--I'll be
it".  Salugi only worked if the "it" was smaller and likely to start
crying after his possessum was tossed back and forth among the bigger
confederates while they shouted "salugi".

Larry