"Fo'ward"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Dec 14 16:10:54 UTC 2006

Anyhow, my point about "Wooster" and "Doster" was not the reduction of "-chester" to "-ster" but the loss of /r/ in the initial syllables of a few of those place names (probably "reduction" is not the best term for that development). I wondered if there's some historical process still functioning.  The present is also a part of history . . . .

(OK, call me an unrepentant Marxist!)

--Charlie