"gwine"'

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 11 02:13:55 UTC 2006

The song's composer, Stephen Foster, wrote "gwine." On the long-ago
occasions when I've sung the song, I've always followed that spelling.
I can't recall ever having heard a recording of it. Reminds me of a
joke, though:

Square:  Does the crosstown busline pass this way?

Hipster:  Doo-dah. Doo-dah.

If "goin'" outnumbers "gwine" on Google, I'd attribute that to recent
political correctness, given that "gwine" is original.

-Wilson