Wife's eggcorn

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Jan 3 20:45:33 UTC 2006

Wilson,

These little "phonological euphemisms" have taken many forms over the
centuries to avoid saying the taboo. My favorite has always been the
Polish syllable "kurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-" pronounced with an elongated
(trilled of course) /r/ and with no hint of final intonation. Finally
the speaker ends with "-cza," rendering "kurcza" (chicken), but the
elongated /r/ makes everyone suspect that the taboo "kurwa" (whore)
is coming up instead.

"Kurwa" is, by the way, used exclamatorily in Polish, like English
"shit," but unlike English "whore."

Prestonski

--
Dennis R. Preston