BE "been VERB NP"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 2 00:46:07 UTC 2006

Thanks for the info, Beverly. Now, the only mystery is why it is that
John R is familiar only with the type "BEEN know," whereas I'm
familiar only with the type "BEEN knowin'." Maybe it has to do with my
having grown up in St. Louis, which has a well-known rep as a dialect
island.

And I'm glad to hear that the construction is still alive and kicking,
whether with or without the -in'!

-Wilson