Anyroad

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sun Jul 2 13:42:06 UTC 2006

I didn't know that about "anyroad"!

It does appear in the OED (road n 8.d), with instances from
1896 through "Remington Steele."

That construction casts light on the phrasing, which I (and
many other readers--maybe only Americans?) have found
perplexing, in Gerard Manley Hopkins's poem "Felix
Randal": "God rest him all road ever he offended."

I just never thought to read the "road" entry in the OED!

Thanks, Wilson.

--Charlie