Loogie (1985)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 3 15:21:11 UTC 2006

Baseball's had an acronymic "loogy" for a few years now:

  http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sports.baseball.pitt-pirates/msg/3348434269a2eddb

  At least it seems to be a genuine acronym....

  JL

Dave Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Dave Wilton
Subject: Loogie (1985)

In the sense of a wad of phlegm, HDAS has 1988:

San Francisco Chronicle, 27 April 1985, "A Sci-Fi Horror Surprise," p. 38:
"In the middle of a French kiss, she slips a killer loogie into his face."

(Technically, this article uses "loogie" to refer to a phlegm-like alien
creature, not a wad of human phlegm, but the writer assumes the readers know
what a loogie is.)

I'm sure earlier citations are out there. I recall the term from my high
school days several years before this.

I've also found several much earlier citations of "Loogie" being used as a
nickname. The reference in these cases is unclear.

--Dave Wilton
dave at wilton.net