More on "gunther" - "gun thug"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jul 14 14:09:56 UTC 2006

Ben, if not "gun thug", what is your supposition about
etymology?  (Perhaps, as I wondered earlier, from "gangsta"?)

On the other hand: in your citations, the New Jersey regionality, the
use in association with "a guido", and the seeming application to
females (bitch, mother, mother and cuzin, "ask danielle, i explained
it to her [insulted her with it?] as well", often in apposition to
the father "a guido" -- do they suggest an origin from Italian, and
from a female proper name?

Joel