Golden Sombrero (baseball slang)

Sun Jul 23 16:10:23 UTC 2006

On 7/23/06, bapopik at aol.com <bapopik at aol.com> wrote:

> Alex Rodriguez (some New York Yankee player, supposedly good and with a
> following in the Dominican Republic) struck out four times last night. He received
> the "golden sombrero."
> Maybe someone with FACTIVA or The Sporting News can check this. Any
> HDAS entry?

Dickson's got it from 1989 (Don Baylor), but Factiva and
Newspaperarchive push it back to 1987 (Pete Rose).

-----
Associated Press, June 16, 1984
"We had two guys who got the 'Golden Sombrero' tonight. You know what
the Golden Sombrero is don't you? It's the hat trick plus one. Our No.
1 and No. 8 hitters struck out four times each." -- Cincinnati Manager
Pete Rose. Houston's Mike Scott struck out 14 Reds, leading Houston to
a 4-0 victory Monday.
-----

--Ben Zimmer