"No one washes a rental car" (1991?, 1996)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Sun Jun 4 20:23:30 UTC 2006

        While Barry has already shown that the phrase is older, I
suspect that it owes some of its current popularity to an AP story by
Marybeth Nibley, which ran in a number of newspapers on 6/20/1993 and
included the following paragraph:

        <<Explaining what he referred to coincidentally as the ''rental
car'' philosophy, Scott Adelson of the financial advisory firm Houlihan
Lokey Howard & Zukin, said ''If I don't own something, I'm not going to
take the same good care of it that I would if I owned it. How often do
you go out and wash a rental car?''>>

John Baker