"can I get a..."

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Mon Jun 5 14:30:20 UTC 2006

I interpreted Lynne's comment as meaning the Brits interpret our "Can I
get..." as meaning "Can I myself walk around the counter and get myself
[whatever]?"  A ridiculous interpretation, of course--which is why none of
us caught the drift, I suspect!  And the query has nothing to do with the
presumed can/may distinction, which is as dead as a doornail on both sides
of the pond, isn't it?