"Plough with the favorite heifer", 1749

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 6 19:17:46 UTC 2006

>Perhaps "C-n-ss" means "Countess"--so represented to allow
>for a pun on "cunt" (and perhaps "ass" too, if "ass" had
>acquired the appropriate signification by 1749)?
>
>--Charlie

I was thinking "countess" too--not so much for the ineffability of
the lexical item or any clever puns but because it would have in
theory given away too much identifying information on the putative
ploughee.  Of course all this would have been tongue in cheek, since
if we're right it would be obvious to a reader at the time what the
missing letters were.

LH