"Submission": "Mauve" adj. fig.

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jun 19 15:13:44 UTC 2006

Thanks, Charles and Jesse.  So (since I didn't
understand the allusion during the performance)--

Wilde, Oscar
An Ideal Husband
1895

Act 1

Lord Goring: Afraid I can't, thanks. I have
promised to look in at the Hartlocks'. I believe
they have got a mauve Hungarian band that plays
mauve Hungarian music. See you soon. Good-bye!

mauve (a)
new sense OED3 fig. [OED3 1870- for literal uses]
note OED2 s.v. "maladif":  1950 D. Gascoyne
Vagrant 55 For a maladif, mandarin-miened, mauve melody-man.

Wikipedia:
The 1890s were sometimes referred to as the
"Mauve Decade," [JSB: as early as 1895, given the
Wilde quotation?] because William Henry Perkin's
aniline dye allowed the widespread use of that
colour in fashion, and also as the "Gay
Nineties", under the then-current usage of the
word "gay" which referred simply to merriment and
frivolity, with no connotation of homosexuality
as in present-day usage. The phrase, "The Gay
Nineties," was not coined until 1926.

Joel