Yes vs. I am

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Fri Mar 24 17:03:05 UTC 2006

I wouldn't necessarily put John Travolta in this category, but I've noticed
that he uses "I am" and related usages when he's on talk shows (well, Letterman
is the only one I watch). It fits with his brisk, semi-formal, dressed up
persona; he gives off an air of authority, real or feigned. Maybe it's a
Hollywood, or at least California, thing?