pre-velar /ae/ raising (was: slang/slant)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 4 01:15:06 UTC 2006

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Re: pre-velar /ae/ raising (was: slang/slant)

>Given that there is no officially-defined and governmentally specified
>and sanctioned dialect of English in the United States, it's not
>possible to speak of a correctly-spoken version of USA English.

I agree.  But one can speak of media Englsih.

>The sounds of American English as specified by m-w.com are mrely a
>reflection of the personal opinions of the staff of m-w.com, nothing
>more.

The same for any dictionary.  Right?

>Therefore, the sounds of spoken English as defined by m-w.com
>can not be used to refute anyone else's personal opinion or any other
>definition of what the sounds of spoken English are.

Nor any dictionary, right?

>Needless to say, my own pronunciation of "slang" does not correspond
>to that described by m-w.com. Rather, I pronounce "slang" with the
>twang (stereo)typical of most Southern speakers.

M-w.com has sound files of the words.  They are spoken aloud.  We can argue
if it's typical.  For "slang" I think it is.  It rhymes with "twang" and
both have long a vowels.

Of course Souther dialect is not the main dialect of USA though it's a
biggie.  The main dialect is well represented in w-m.com.  It's on TV and
radio every day.

> [...]
> > >latter right now.)
> > >
> > >Matt Gordon raises a number of really good questions about this
> > >process which we have just started to look at data on: Is it related
> > >to NCS? From what we've seen so far, the answer is maybe. Note that
> > >the NCS isn't found as far west as Minnesota, or even western
> > >Wisconsin, where pre-velar raising is widespread. That suggests that
> > >it's a different deal.  Is it phonetically different from NCS? It is
> > >most definitely. Is it older than NCS?  We've looked at /ae/ before /
> > >g/ and alveolars in some DARE recordings from southeast Wisconsin and
> > >the oldest speakers show no raising in either environment. With a few
> > >speakers born somewhat later, we get some suggestive patterns before
> > >alveolars, like NCS (but notably too early for the usual chronology
> > >of that shift), and none before /g/. Later, but still before NCS
> > >should be showing up, we start seeing pre-velar raising. (For the
> > >phonetically inclined: Tom's working out a way of calculating /ae/
> > >raising that gets away from the simple 700 hz threshold that's been
> > >criterial for NCS to date, but that's a topic for a paper by him, not
> > >an ADS-list post. I suspect that Tom's approach allows us to see
> > >earlier stirrings of NCS than the 700 hz measure.) But note that
> > >these historical recordings are from southeastern Wisconsin -- Tom
> > >has suggested in conversation that pre-velar raising could also have
> > >started elsewhere (say, Minnesota) and spread down to meet NCS. If
> > >that's so, it could be older, but then from outside of NCS territory.
> > >
> > >We will be working on this for some time to come and hope we'll know
> > >more before too long. Concretely, we should soon have some audio
> > >samples of these patterns on the Wisconsin Englishes Project page,
> > >http://csumc.wisc.edu:16080/wep/.
> > >
> > >Oh, finally, Paul Johnston mentioned a possible correlation with
> > >'pop' vs. 'soda', but that line cuts north/south through eastern
> > >Wisconsin, so that we get this 'bag' pattern with 'soda' and 'pop'
> > >speakers up here.
> > >
> > >Onward,
> > >Joe
> > >Center for the Study of Upper Midwestern Cultures
> > >901 University Bay Drive
> > >University of Wisconsin
> > >Madison, WI 53705
> > >http://csumc.wisc.edu/
> > >
> > >http://german.lss.wisc.edu/homes/jsalmons/
> > >
> > >------------------------------------------------------------
> > >The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

> > Get today's hot entertainment gossip
> > http://movies.msn.com/movies/hotgossip?icid=T002MSN03A07001

>--
>Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
>complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
>-----
>Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
>a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our

Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with
Live Search!
http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmtagline