Wiggle Room?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 28 17:07:36 UTC 2006

And the area around Pittsburgh is known to have been heavily settled by Scots in the 18th C.  FWIW and IIRC, this is also the general area of the earliest reports of "you-uns" (variously pronounced).

  I did some unpublished reasearch on this in grad school. Sorry I can't provide the sources now.

  JL

"Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Douglas G. Wilson"
Subject: Re: Wiggle Room?

>We might want to alert newcomers to the list to check our Archives. We've
>discussed these phenomena, as well as vowel laxing, a thousand times
>before, and all our exchanges are archived--right, Terry and Jesse?

Excuse me, I should have noted that the Scottish use of "need + p.p." was
noted here before:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0301E&L=ADS-L&P=R1067&I=-3

However, I don't know that it's obvious to any newcomer (or even oldcomer)
how to search for this in the archives: "needs washed" worked for me just
now, with (if not 1000) a respectable 56 messages returned. Maybe some
other expression would return more.

-- Doug Wilson