nexus "to"

James Knight jlk at INTERISLAND.NET
Mon Oct 9 15:59:25 UTC 2006

 From the BBC article "9/11 hijackers on US no-fly list"

is this:

"They basically did a massive data dump and said: 'Okay, anybody
that's got a _nexus to_ terrorism, let's make sure they get on the list.'"

Is this in lieu of "connection to"? I don't see this sense in my
version of OED. Nothing in ADS-L.

There's a hint that this usage goes back a ways (I only have access
to one newspaper archive with lousy OCR).

"...nexus to terrorism..." comes up a lot in recent news articles.

<http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=318&pmid=7818&TS=1160151940&clientId=20582&VType=PQD&VName=PQD&VInst=PROD>New
York Times. (Late Edition (East Coast)). New York, N.Y.:
<http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=572&VType=PQD&VName=PQD&VInst=PROD&pmid=7818&pcid=33324421&SrchMode=3>Sep
4, 2006. pg. A.9
"...cases like identity theft or immigration fraud that may have some
nexus to terrorism..."

<http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=318&pmid=7559&TS=1160152006&clientId=20582&VType=PQD&VName=PQD&VInst=PROD>The
Christian Science Monitor. Boston, Mass.:
<http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=572&VType=PQD&VName=PQD&VInst=PROD&pmid=7559&pcid=33414031&SrchMode=3>Aug
17, 2006. pg. 02
"...but there is no nexus to terrorism or a terrorist threat."

<http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=318&pmid=7653&TS=1160152034&clientId=20582&VType=PQD&VName=PQD&VInst=PROD>The
Washington Post. Washington, D.C.:
<http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=572&VType=PQD&VName=PQD&VInst=PROD&pmid=7653&pcid=33048921&SrchMode=3>Aug
15, 2006. pg. A.4
"...individuals arrested have any direct nexus to terrorism,"

Earlier, from July 1988, is an NYT article (from Proquest newspapers
http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=960296901&sid=1&Fmt=3&clientId=20582&RQT=309&VName=PQD):

"The definition of a related amenity was ''one which addresses a need
directly arising from the project, i.e., which has a _nexus to_ the
project, and which is identified during the environmental review
process; or is otherwise specified by law.'' 'Disincentives to Development' "

"nexus to" == "arising from" ??

Etc.

-jk
James Knight, MLIS