New meanings for pornography?

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Oct 30 04:01:03 UTC 2006

"Pornography" is not illegal, at least it hasn't in the US for many decades
(1973, Miller v. California). What is illegal is "obscenity." Pornography,
except that which is deemed obscene, is protected by the first amendment,
obscene material is not.

Miller established a three-pronged test for obscenity:
1) The average person, applying contemporary community standards, would find
the work, taken as a whole, appeals to the prurient interest, and
2) The work depicts or describes in a patently offensive way, as measured by
contemporary community standards, sexual conduct specifically defined by the
applicable law, and
3) A reasonable person would find the work, taken as whole, lacks serious
literary, artistic, political or scientific value.

This leaves pretty wide latitude for the determination of "community
standards." But obscenity cases are notoriously difficult for the government
to win. While I'm sure it has won some cases, I can't think of any of the
top of my head. So if the porn producer is willing to put up a fight, just
about anything goes. Wilson's "erect penis" rule may be a good guide for the
difference between hardcore and softcore pornography, but it's not part of
any legal standard.

There is also a legal standard for "indecency." "Indecent" material may not
be broadcast on the public airwaves (but it's okay in writing, movies, cable
TV, etc.). FCC v. Pacifica (1978) defined "indecency" as "language or
material that, in context, depicts or describes, in terms patently offensive
as measured by contemporary standards in the broadcast medium, sexual or
excretory activities or organs."

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net