preadolescent "tortures"

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sat Sep 30 17:47:49 UTC 2006

I've been trying to dredge up the names of some of the "tortures" we
inflicted on one another when I was eight or nine. I recall the
Indian wrist burn (sometimes called the Chinese wrist burn, if memory
serves, where you twisted your hands around someone's wrists in
opposite directions), and an Indian scalp something-or-other. And, of
course, the noogie and wedgie (but did we call it that then?), though
those were more on the order of opportunistic maneuvers that didn't
have the deliberate character of the others. Any help appreciated.

Geoff  Nunberg