Knock yourself out!"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 29 04:40:17 UTC 2007

I've long wondered how it came to be that "Knock yourself out!' has
come to mean what it means, as defined in HDAS and as I'm accustomed
to understand its meaning from hearing it used in the wild, over the
past half-century or so. Here's a possibility.

In 1924, jazz-singer Lilian "Lil" Green wrote and recorded a song
entitled, "Knockin' Myself Out," whose subject is getting loaded on
grass. In addition to the title phrase, the song also contains the
phrase, "Knock yourself out!" In context, the meaning is clearly, "Go
'head on and get high!" Perhaps, over the years, the meaning changed
from "Get high!" to "Have fun (getting high)" to "Feel free (to have
fun getting high) to "Enjoy yourself, feel free, help yourself, do as
you please, go 'head on, get happy," etc,. etc.

FWIW, at least one of these old sides uses "Get gay!" to mean "Get high!"

-Wilson
-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens
------
The tongue has no bones, yet it breaks bones.

                                              -Rumanian proverb