Oftenly

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Aug 24 00:03:32 UTC 2007

    "Fastly" based on its antonym "slowly" seems to be something that only children would produce (although it could  later be imitated by adults, if they so wished).  I can't imagine an adult producing "fastly" under the influence of "slowly."  But I *can* imagine it being produced by a blend, since blending frequently occurs in adult speech--as slips of the tongue, it is true, but then that is an integral part of the nature of blending.  Very few  blends make it to the big-time of the standard language (e.g., "time and again" from "time after time" and "again and again.").

     So "fastly," if produced spontaneously in adult speech, would like derive from a blending of "fast" + "quickly."

     Now, if "oftenly" arose in adult speech, I see no problem in invoking blending *at least as a possibility.*  I've been noticing (and often writing down) blends for almost 40 years.  Some may be more convincing than others, but the overall picture I have is of a linguistic feature which occurs more often than the linguistic community as a whole has recognized.

    In another message today Arnold quotes an earlier message of his:
  >i think that jerry's use of "blend" here stretches the word beyond
all usefulness.  it's just wrong to use a single term for all
expressions that can be analyzed as a combination of two expressions.<

     Beyond all usefulness?  I respectfully disagree.  If blending really is very frequent in language; if there are lexical blends as well as syntactic ones (and this isn't original with me); and if people frequently say "often" and "frequently," I see nothing daring in saying that if a form "oftenly" arises, it may be a blend of the two words.  Now, maybe "oftenly" arose by analogy with the antonym "rarely" or "seldomly."   But to rule out blending because the term allegedly is "beyond all usefulness" is to run the  risk of setting aside a very useful tool in analyzing speech errors and the origin of various idiomatic features of English.

Gerald Cohen