Query---"tap" = possum?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 1 18:39:46 UTC 2007

The line I'm familiar with is indeed "Met a terrapin and a toad."

  The possum in the verse is a bit-player, not one of the stars.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Query---"tap" = possum?

In E TX BE, /r/ can be freely deleted, intervocalically. So,
"tarrapin" (though Charlie claims to be a "Southerner," - shame!
shame! - he's also from E TX) can be either "t[aer@]pin" or
"t[ae@]pin." However, I have no certain way of dropping the -in,
leaving the required "tap" [tae at p]. The rhythm of the song, perhaps?
An abbreviation? A clipping?

BTW, back in the 'Sixties, the Grand Dragon of the Kew Klux Klan was
interviewed (see! I do read it for the articles!) in Playboy. In the
course of the interview, an exchange like unto the following took
place:

GD: In modern times, there has never been a President who was a Southerner.

PB: Really? What about Lyndon Johnson?

GD (and here I quote): "He's not a Southerner. He's a Texan."

Got that, Charlie? :-) Surely, there can be no authority greater than
that of the Grand Dragon himself.

-Wilson

On Dec 1, 2007 9:50 AM, Charles Doyle wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Charles Doyle
> Subject: Re: Query---"tap" = possum?
>
> It was my first thought, too, that "tap" or "tap and" looks like a contraction (the result of either "dialect writing" or naive transcription) of "terrapin" (which I myself, a white Southerner, initially misspelled "tarrapin"--a spelling that does represent my pronunciation!).
>
> When Norm Cohen (as quoted by non-cousin Gerald) says, "'Tap' does seem to mean 'possum' there," is he basing the assertion on clues from elsewhere in the song? I don't see how the quoted snippet could itself be taken as evidence that "tap" means "possum."
>
> --Charlie

-----
-Sam'l Clemens