The Broncks', the borough of my childhood, fades away

Thu Dec 6 14:10:00 UTC 2007

James Harbeck wrote:

> But I can't off the top of my head think of another street in London
> that starts with "the."

Having a London A-Z (actually the Ordnance Survey ABC) within hand's reach
helps memory wonderfully. It includes The Cedars, The Chevenings, The
Curve, The Hatch, The Link, and the delightful The Sunny Road. For more,
see http://www.londontown.com/LondonStreets/the_sunny_road_e2e.html. The
map on that page also shows The Link and yet another, The Brightside,
which connects with the  Sunny Side. Who wouldn't like to be able to say
"I live on the corner of The Sunny Side and The Brightside"? Depressives
need not apply.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words