Early ADS WOTY nominations posted

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Wed Dec 19 13:58:21 UTC 2007

From:    Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG>

> I have posted early nominations for the American Dialect Society’s
> words-of-the-year vote.

> http://americandialect.org/woty2007/

Is there some official (to the extent *anything* involved with the WotY
is official!) way to submit early nominations?

Anyway, i'd like to submit an early nomination of my own: prefixed
lower-case "i". It's gone beyond Apply products (iPod, iPhone) and stuff
designed to work with Apple products (iCandy, iHome), and now is used
for things like personalized web pages (iGoogle) and even package
openers (iSlice). (i-: The e- for a new millennium!)

I'd also like to nominate "wrap rage" (referring to frustration at
impenetrable plastic clamshell packaging, and occasionally,
interestingly enough, the injuries resulting from trying to open such
packaging), which goes back at least to 2005 via (wait for it!) the
Colbert Report, but seems to have achieved widespread currency more
recently.

<snip>

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida