Queries about "Up and at 'em" (open quote/apostrophe)

neil neil at TYPOG.CO.UK
Tue Feb 6 17:56:11 UTC 2007

------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
-

> LION gives this (I can't find it in EEBO), from Richard Head and Francis
> Kirkman's _The English Rogue_ (1671):  ". . . if they, in the Morning, did
> fall to drinking again, taking a hair of the Old Dog, then he would up, and at
> them again."
>
> I'm not sure that's an actual instance of the saying, though.  How definitive
> is imperative mood, or the contracted _'em_?
>
> And why do I find backward apostrophes so annoying??
>
> --Charlie

Because Bill Gates' Microsoftware can't recognise an apostrophe used to
indicate omission at the beginning of a word.

Last year, The Guardian (UK) had a self-advert set it what was probably
120pt Helvetica Bold which included '06 in the headline -- and, of course,
it was an open quote rather than an apostrophe.

--Neil Crawford