It takes more than a language to unify a nation

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Feb 24 19:41:34 UTC 2007

At 2/24/2007 01:54 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>I haven't considered the nuances and implications of the current
>bill and don't know whether an officially legislated national
>language would do good or harm, but I must confess a commitment to
>the now less-than-fashionable Melting Pot ideal since second grade.
>Like, E Pluribus Unum, dudes and dudettes.

I used to have the same preference, and from probably about the same
period and age as Jon.  But I have since moved quite a bit towards
the "preserving diversity" side of the argument.  Same notion as many
scientists apply to biota.

Joel