"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep...discussing lunch" (Ben Franklin?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 25 01:52:47 UTC 2007

For the Google Groups:
    John Sulak     Sep 19 1991,  4:18 am

Newsgroups:  talk.politics.theory, talk.politics.misc, misc.legal,
talk.politics.drugs
From: s_..._
(http://groups.google.com/groups/unlock?msg=1c30af5b4b0a98b1&hl=en&_done=/group/talk.politics.drugs/browse_thread/thread/ff0f6301ebed43f9/50b93
b055d3a3ec7?lnk=st&q=&rnum=91&hl=en) @ge-dab.GE.COM (John  Sulak)
Date: 18 Sep 91 16:46:05  GMT
Subject: "...And to the  Republic" (Republic, not Democracy)

I enjoyed watching C-SPAN's  coverage of the Libertarian Party convention
in Chicago. One item from the  convention is worth discussing. When
Dick Bodie was running against Andre  Marrou for the party's nomination,
a CSPAN interviewer asked him why he  could oppose some laws that the
majority are in favor, after all, the  interviewer stated, "We are a
democracy."
Mr. Bodie replied that we are first a Republic and than a Democracy. The
difference being that the Bill of Rights and Constitution restrict what
the government (theoretically representing the majority) can do.
Mr. Boddie had a colorful definition of Democracy without such
restriction: "It is when two wolves and one sheep decide to vote on
'What's for dinner?'"