"the whole nine yards" 1942 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Clai Rice cxr1086 at LOUISIANA.EDU
Thu Jul 12 16:47:55 UTC 2007

I second Larry on this reading and add that the excerpt quoted above
clipped off BURTON and VICKERY's conventional uses of the phrase "as a
whole":

> Senator [Harold H.] BURTON....therefore you see a possibility of
> actually increasing the percentage of gain by 50 percent in these
> yards as a whole. Admiral [Howard L.] VICKERY. In the yards as a
> whole.

Vickery carefully confirms Burton's understanding by repeating the
phrase that explicitly identifies the whole output as being expressed as
a single average. So Land's use of "whole" is sanctioned not only by the
local semantics but also the discourse context, where repetition is
cohesive and accommodating.

Clai Rice