Modern Proverbs appeal

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 12 23:34:32 UTC 2007

OED Online has citations from 1958 and 1973 (both sf/fantasy and with scare
quotes around the word), and from 1979 and later w.r.t. non-sf and without
scare quotes, though the 2004 cite has an explanation of the word.

In my own subfield, rec.music.filk newsgroup (http://tinyurl.com/35dcls)
gets 23 hits, referring to inter alia

 - Episodes 1-3 of the Star Wars series, both individually and as a group

 - a verse for a filksong, referring to an event preceding the reference of
the previously written verse

 - a potential song:
    >> I don't think I know "Age of Destruction."  Could you mean "Eve of
Destruction" from the 70's?
    > Sorry, wrong neuron -- yes, Eve Of Destruction.
    Which ought to have a prequel:  Lilith of Construction.

 - a potential movie:
    This sounds like a good opening scene for a comedy-horror movie:
"Thursday the 12th -- the Prequel."

 - and to maintain our serious-lit cred, a real opera:
    Wagner later wrote a prequel to [Lohengrin], called Parsifal, just in
case you wanted to know a lot more about them.

-- Mark A. Mandel, The Filker With No Nickname
   http://filk.cracksandshards.com/