"skunk ape"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 3 23:27:44 UTC 2007

"a large, foul-smelling hominid said to inhabit parts of Florida"

  1976 _Monsters!_ (NBC-TV): Called the "skunk ape" in Florida, the "sasquatch" in the Pacific Northwest.

  2005 Charlie Carlson _Weird Florida_ (N.Y.: Sterling) 80: Stories about Skunk Ape encounters may go back to early Indian legends, which tell of giants living along the Kissimmee River....Skunk Ape Festival June 12.

  I first heard of the Florida "skunk ape" about 1969. My impression is that it was a recent coinage.

  JL

Never Miss an Email