Hockey

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Sat May 19 20:25:17 UTC 2007

>Yes, I distinguish between COT and CAUGHT, so HOCKEY for me has the same
>vowel as COT.

I remember a friend jokingly talking about going for coffee using a
put-on Brooklyn accent and putting the "caught" vowel in the first
syllable of "coffee." Is this accurate, or would it be the "cot"
vowel? I'm pretty sure in England it would be the "cot" vowel (sigh,
oh for the ability to use IPA in these messages), but that doesn't
mean for certain it would be so elsewhere.

BTW, I lied when I said we don't have the open o. We do, but only
before i and r.

James Harbeck.