yahoo

Paul paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Wed Apr 2 00:03:23 UTC 2008

If you're just going to be sensible, there goes all the fun!

David A. Daniel wrote:
> This seems to be turning into something much more convoluted than it needs
> to be. There are two basic senses of yahoo: (1) the boorish, stupid person;
> (2) an interjection of the yippee variety. In the hick sense there are two
> pronunciations: YAH-hoo and YAY-hoo. For the interjection there is one basic
> pronunciation: yaahhhh-HOOOOOO! The people at yahoo.com intended for the
> company name to be the interjection, with respective pronunciation. Didn't
> catch on, morphed into YAH-hoo, which is really neither here nor there in
> terms of a meaningful name as it is not the interjection and it does indeed
> refer to a yokel. Not what they had in mind. This will no doubt become a
> case study at HBS as to why Google is doing so much better...
> DAD

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority;
 they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of
 exercise;  they no longer rise when elders enter the room;  they
 contradict their parents, chatter before company;  gobble up their food
 and tyrannize their teachers."
        Socrates 500 AD