EUPH OF THE DAY?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 2 13:45:32 UTC 2008

After authorities captured a roadside alligator in Ft. Lauderdale yesterday, Fox reported that the fate of the deadly Paleozoic holdover, who'd won thousands of new friends thanks to Fox's live coverage of the incident, was to be "harvested."

  Pres. George H. W. Bush was the first person within my hearing, or that of my media monitoring devices, to speak of "harvesting the game," which means to hunt it down and kill it, with eating assumed but optional.  Unless Florida has a program of converting rogue 'gators into food or at least wallets, the use of "harvest" in the present context is doubly obnoxious. (Aw, what the hell, triply - he or she seemed like a nice 'gator) .

  JL