British accent stereotypes - 'news'

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 4 17:39:32 UTC 2008

Apparently "r-dropping" is official for British English according to the Oxford and BBC phoneme sets below.  This officially distinguishes Brit-English from Am-English.  They teach and insist on "r-dropping".

Oxford university press – Britenglish spoken pronunciation key with pictures
http://www.oup.com/elt/global/products/englishfile/intermediate/c_pronunciation/

Britenglish BBC pronunciation key with voicings of phonemes – 8 diphthongs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/multimedia/pron/chart/chart.shtml

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.