Standard US English Dialect?

Wed Apr 16 05:55:06 UTC 2008

It sure does--in fact, if you look through the SED data, you'll see a
similar pattern around the rural Southeast of England, where t-
glottalling is not allowed between a stressed vowel and a final
vowel, but only where the subsequent syllable is closed, usually with
a sonorant.  This seems to be an older pattern that early 19th c.
Cockney might have had.  I was really surprised coming back to New
York from 13 yrs. in the UK hearing a rap singer from Brooklyn say
that his real name was [mA:?In], pronounced exactly as in Cockney,
only this was an AAVE speaker.
When we start having glottal stops in city, kitty etc. , we'll have
acquired the most usual English glottalization rule.

Paul Johnston