Further Antedating of "Black Hole"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 17 13:22:09 UTC 2008

At 6:22 AM -0500 4/17/08, Paul wrote:
>paul johnson wrote:
>My understanding has always been that a FF was the act of launching
>yourself, fully extended , from the foot of the bed with the intention
>of reaching full penetration as you hit the bed.

Ouch.  But that doesn't quite explain why "a flying fuck" should work
as a minimizing negative polarity item in the context "to not give
____".  Generally, such items represent the lowest or least valuable
elements on their respective scales (not sleep a wink, not budge an
inch, not worth a plugged nickel/thin dime, not worth a sou, not
change a tittle or jot,...); back in the mid-19th century, Pott
observed that they all have the sense of "not even a..."  It's not
clear to me why a flying fuck, defined as above, would be less
valuable or more mundane than a garden variety one. Not that I'm in a
position to know.

LH