ghoti = fish

Matthew Gordon gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
Tue Apr 22 22:11:35 UTC 2008

Sure.

Here's the full quote:
"My son William has hit upon a new method of spelling Fish. As thus: -
G.h.o.t.i., Ghoti, fish. Nonsense! say you. By no means, say I. It is
perfectly vindicable orthography. You give it up? Well then, here is the
proof. Gh is f, as in tough, rough, enough; o is i as in women; and ti is
sh, as in mention, attention, &c. So that ghoti is fish." (p. 406)

This is from the Oct. 1874 issue of St. James's Magazine. The article is
written by S. R. Townshend Mayer and it's titled "Leigh Hunt and Charles
Ollier." The piece is a description of the relationship between the author,
Hunt, and his publisher, Ollier. What's intriguing is that the article is
supposed to be based on unpublished letters between the men from a period of
over 40 years. As it happens, the ghoti passage seems to be taken from an
1855 letter from Ollier, though this isn't totally clear from the magazine
text.

-Matt Gordon