Truespel Spam

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 5 03:44:10 UTC 2008

Thanks for posting the clarification, Ben. I suspected that anyone reading
that sentence -- except perhaps the referent individual -- would understand
it, or would at worst be able to parse it and look up the term. (I had to
rewrite the preceding sentence three times to make the scope of negation
clear without too much awkwardness.)

On Feb 4, 2008 10:08 PM, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu>
wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2008 3:48 PM, Tom Zurinskas <truespel at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> [Larry Horn wrote:]
> > > I don't recall anyone calling you non-theological.
> >
> > It was in the last MAM-ogram where he also wishes to stigmatize anyone
> responding to my posts.

Ah, a telling slash against my initials. I resolved many years ago to avoid
making jokes on people's names, because they'd already heard them all and
didn't consider them funny -- and that's just with well-meaning ones. I
thought I'd seen the worst T.Z. could do, but he's surprised me yet again: I
don't think I've heard this one before. ... But I don't consider it funny,
so that part still holds.

And, as I think and hope Ron recognized, I was not trying to stigmatize him
-- look that up, Tom, I do not think it means what you think it means --
when I wrote:

Ron, don't waste your time trying to talk sense to Tom Zurinskas.

m a m (unashamed of my initials)

--
Mark Mandel