another lost preposition

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Feb 11 18:40:12 UTC 2008

It wasn't exactly a locus classicus, but in _American Speech_ 52(for 1977):28 I had a notula inspired by such imperative advertising slogans as "Shop Macy's" and "Fly the friendly skies of United," which sounded odd to me at the time. I titled it "Optional Prepositions"--not a very good title, since the presence or absence of a preposition isn't necessarily optional for given speakers or dialects. I made no effort to ascertain whether, historically, prepositions have been added or deleted in individual expressions. I attempted no analysis.  Here were my examples:

think (about) snow. (bumper sticker)
think (about) safety.  (road sign)
fight (against) the people of Vietnam.
exit (from) a building.