duel roll

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Feb 16 03:41:06 UTC 2008

At 5:22 PM -0800 2/15/08, JAMES A. LANDAU Netscape. Just the Net You
Need. wrote:
>A Web news page, which I cannot locate again, had the phrase "duel
>roll" for "dual role".
>
>You don't often see double-malaprops like the above.
>
>I don't suppose it counts as an eggcorn since it is hard to imagine
>what a "duel roll" might be (a list of gladiators who have been
>assigned to single combats?)

Sushi for samurai swordsmen?

>OT:  If I remember correctly, "canola" or "Canola" is an acronym for
>"Canada oil low-acid"---MWCD11 says "a rape plant of an imporved
>variety having seeds that are low in erucic acid".

Given "Mazola" (maize + -ola, corn oil), Saffola (safflower + -ola)
and no doubt other -olas, I wonder if there's any reason to believe
"Canola" is really an acronym, as opposed to "Can[adian] + -ola", as
I was maintaining earlier today.  Unless of course all the -olas come
from "...oil low-acid", but somehow that seems unlikely.  -ola just
seems like a natural candidate for a commercial-Latinate rendering
(rending?) of 'oil'.

LH