strum up support

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sun Feb 17 14:28:00 UTC 2008

My silly response actually looked at the semantics. If you drum (or
strum, etc...) up support you do something which causes something to
come about. If you gum up support you do not cause it to come about
but cause it to be sloppy or even derailed (i.e., gummed up).

That's why there's a big gob of "up"s in the dictionary (although
it's a lexical semantics nightmare to separate the semantics of the
particle from the semantics of the verb).

LH, any reflections on this nightmare?

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       "David A. Daniel" <dad at POKERWIZ.COM>
>Subject:      Re: strum up support
>
>That too. (slobber, slobber) I was thinking in terms of "gumming up the
>works". But dentures will do fine.
>DAD

15C Morrill Hall
Michigan State University