"hot dog" T.A. Dorgan story in St. Louis Post-Dispatch (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jul 5 23:38:47 UTC 2008

At 6:21 PM -0400 7/5/08, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Time seems once again to have left me in the lurch. A TV commercial a
>moment ago was for Hebrew National *wieners* and not for Hebrew
>National *frankfurters.*
>
>-Wilson

Hmph.  Contradicting my claim as well from yesterday's exchange:

=========
For me, there's at least a connotative difference.  Franks for me are
more serious, at least potentially more flavorful and more ethnic,
e.g. in the form of Hebrew National all-beef franks (#wienies).
Wienies or wieners are what kids eat, the ones that are labeled
"extra mild" in the cooler at the supermarket.  Maybe I associate
"wiener" with, well, "I wish I was an Oscar Meyer wiener" and with
=========
Hebrew National wieners, my....   Well anyway, it's just *wrong*.

P.S.  and it's not really true that they snip off the end of them